- Policy Advocate, Protect Democracy , USA
● Washington, DC
● San Francisco, CA
● New York, NY
● Boston, MA
Protect Democracy is seeking a Policy Advocate who is passionate about protecting our democracy to develop policy solutions and strategically organize coalitions to defend and strengthen democratic norms and institutions. The Policy Advocate will lead our efforts to influence the Hill and executive branch oversight bodies (and in some cases state-level policymakers) through direct outreach, coalition building, and collaboration with grassroots groups.
The Policy Advocate will also lead efforts within Protect Democracy to develop policy solutions that would strategically advance our mission. We do not envision that this will involve direct grassroots organizing at this time, but the Policy Advocate should be familiar with how that work is done should this position evolve to include it. This is a senior position, and Policy Advocates are expected to operates as leaders within the organization, among peer organizations, and in the national conversation. The Policy Advocate will be expected to do the following at a high level:
● Develop, propose and lead strategic campaigns aimed at influential leaders and civic institutions in defense of democratic norms that are under threat;
● Generate creative policy solutions and work with experts and coalitions to advance them, including developing detailed policy proposals to build on Protect Democracy’s recent “Roadmap for Renewal: A Legislative Blueprint for Protecting Our Democracy”;
● Build coalitions of leaders and organizations in support of strategic campaigns to protect our democracy, including a campaign to convince candidates and elected officials in both parties to adopt an agenda for strengthening our democracy;
● Collaborate with other organizations, including supporting the work of grassroots groups;
● Collaborate with our legal team to develop advocacy campaigns that will support our legal work through strategic organizing initiatives;
● Collaborate with our communications team to develop communications strategies to strategically amplify the Policy Advocate’s lobbying and organizing work;
● Design, hire, and build a growing team to execute this work;
● Contribute as a leader to the overall development of the organization across all areas.
● A passionate commitment to the preservation of democratic norms and institutions.
● The ideal candidate will have at least seven years of experience in policy advocacy, policy analysis, or campaigns, although we will consider candidates with fewer years of experience who have demonstrated ability to lead policy development or advocacy initiatives with a high level of excellence.
● Ability to track, prioritize, and where necessary triage work in order to always be using one’s time in the most efficient and productive way.
● Exceptional diplomatic skills and ability to build strong relationships, including with people from diverse backgrounds and ideologies.
● Excellent judgment about political activism – what levers can make change happen with limited resources.
● Instinctual understanding of the rhythms of the political-media world and congressional dynamics.
● Fluency with the current political environment and legal issues (a J.D. is not a requirement, but the ability to understand and communicate legal issues is).
● Ability to build and execute legislative and executive branch lobbying strategies.
● Excellent writing and communications skills.
● Excellent critical thinking skills – ability to reason one’s way through novel problems and have good instincts about how to get to optimal solutions.
● Comfort with full transparency on work and proactive managing up, down, and sideways to keep others informed at all times.
● Comfort with an open and transparent culture with constant feedback up, down and sideways.
● Comfort taking smart, strategic, and calculated risks.
● Comfort working in a start-up environment, doing whatever is necessary to build the organization and support your own work.
● Comfort with team collaboration.
● Comfort developing relevant metrics and then meeting them.
● A healthy mix of idealism, sophistication and practicality, coupled with personal kindness and generosity of spirit.
About Protect Democracy:
We are working to assemble a staff of the highest caliber to help prevent our democracy from declining into a more authoritarian form of government. That team will lead our efforts to monitor, investigate, report on, educate the public about, and litigate against any actions taken by the executive branch that could erode the rules, practices, and freedoms that underpin our ability as a self-governing people to hold our leaders accountable.
Excellent candidates will share a deep commitment to this mission, be creative and entrepreneurial in conceiving strategies for achieving it, and be able to wholeheartedly embrace and embody our organizational culture principles, including collaboration, constant feedback, excellence, efficiency, and integrity.
● Protect Democracy is an equal opportunity employer. Our culture principles emphasize that there is strength in diversity as we believe diverse teams are more innovative, creative, and productive. Protect Democracy encourages applications from all qualified individuals without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, national origin, marital status, citizenship, disability, and veteran status.
● All positions are full-time and offer a salary and benefits that are commensurate with experience and designed to be at the leading edge of competitiveness for the social justice and non-profit sector. While we cannot match for-profit sector salaries, our intent is to not make finance a bar to people who want to do this work on the theory that paying for top talent will result in greater delivery of impact towards our mission. For example, our benefits package includes: three months of paid parental leave; a 401k plan in which we match employee contributions dollar for dollar up to 6% of salary; and full coverage for an excellent health care plan.
● Candidates who do not meet all listed criteria should still apply, as our organizational structure focuses on providing mentorship and opportunities for professional growth.
● Location requirements are flexible. The only requirement is that your location be one that allows you to complete the demands of the position and mission. We currently have staff in DC, New York, Boston, Virginia, and North Carolina.
Job posted on 7th August 2018
Please mention Political Jobs when applying to this position