- Impact Associate/Paralegal, USA
● Washington, DC
● New York, NY
● Boston, MA
Protect Democracy is seeking a highly motivated individual to join the team as an Impact Associate/Paralegal. This team member will fulfill a core paralegal role and also contribute to our work in a number of ways, including conducting research, drafting materials, and helping to manage projects. Prior paralegal experience is preferred, and enthusiasm to learn and conduct core paralegal duties is required.
The Impact Associate/Paralegal will be responsible for:
● Helping to manage the work of our project teams to ensure they stay on schedule and deliver the outputs we need to achieve our mission
● Cite-checking, fact-checking, and proofreading Protect Democracy court filings and public reports, letters, press releases, campaign materials, and other public-facing documents
● Supporting the legal team by managing document systems, creating and maintaining systems for tracking correspondence and deadlines, preparing and conducting court filings, helping attorneys prepare for court appearances and other proceedings, drafting correspondence, and interacting with a wide array of outside actors (including opposing counsel and courts)
● Conducting non-legal research related to oversight, litigation, and public education work
● Updating and contributing to content for Protect Democracy’s website
● Proposing, preparing, submitting, and tracking Freedom of Information Act requests; drafting and assisting attorneys with filing Freedom of Information Act complaints
● Administering large scale projects such as document reviews
● Supporting ongoing work by drafting op eds, tweets, talking points, outreach emails, blog posts, and participating in strategy development
● Proposing and leading projects to advance Protect Democracy’s mission
● A passionate commitment to the preservation of democratic norms and institutions
● Rigorous attention to detail and the highest standards for excellence in execution
● Ability to track, prioritize, and balance an assortment of ongoing responsibilities while anticipating the needs of staff
● Strong writing, research, editing, and proofreading skills
● Ability and willingness to learn research skills and explore research tools
● Ability and willingness to learn project management skills and explore project management tools
● Ability and willingness to learn rules and processes for filing cases and pleadings in federal and state courts
● Strong interpersonal communication skills
● Comfort with an open and transparent culture with constant feedback up, down and sideways
● Comfort working in a startup environment, doing whatever is necessary to build the organization and support your own work
● Comfort with team collaboration
● A healthy mix of idealism, sophistication and practicality, coupled with personal kindness and generosity of spirit
About Protect Democracy
● Competitive pay and phenomenal benefits. All positions are full-time and offer a salary and benefits that are commensurate with experience and designed to be at the leading edge of competitiveness for the social justice and non-profit sector. While we cannot match for-profit sector salaries, our intent is to not make finance a bar to people who want to do this work on the theory that paying for top talent will result in greater delivery of impact towards our mission. For example, our benefits package includes: three months of paid parental leave; a 401k plan in which we match employee contributions dollar for dollar up to 6% of salary; and full coverage for an excellent health care plan.
● Commitment to a diverse workplace. Protect Democracy is an equal opportunity employer. Our culture principles emphasize that there is strength in diversity as we believe diverse teams are more innovative, creative, and productive. Protect Democracy encourages applications from all qualified individuals without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, national origin, marital status, citizenship, disability, and veteran status.
● Ample opportunities for personal & professional development. At Protect Democracy, we invest in our staff, and that includes fostering connections between members of the team and providing opportunities for training and continued education. Candidates who do not meet all listed criteria should still apply, as our organizational structure focuses on providing mentorship and opportunities for professional growth.
Candidates who do not meet all listed criteria should still apply, as our organizational structure focuses on providing mentorship and opportunities for professional growth.
Job posted on 24th October 2018
Please mention Political Jobs when applying to this position