- Press Secretary/Communicator, USA
Protect Democracy is seeking a highly motivated individual to join the team as a press secretary/communicator. This senior role includes the following responsibilities:
● Cultivate and manage relationships with top reporters, editors, and influencers in coverage areas relevant to Protect Democracy’s mission;
● Increase Protect Democracy’s visibility as an idea hub and leader in the democracy reform space;
● Represent Protect Democracy in high stakes press environments;
● Ensure effective rapid response and crisis communications management;
● Pitch and prepare Protect Democracy staff for high profile media appearances;
● Develop and execute social media, digital, and creative communications strategies;
● Develop, design, and draft content or oversee those who will;
● Provide communications leadership within the entire Protect Democracy team;
● Collaborate with project leads, including lawyers, to advance project goals through communications;
● Independently seek opportunities to build and improve on Protect Democracy’s communications framework by closely examining needs, assessing possible solutions, and making concise recommendations to the Director of Communications and Policy, Executive Director, Legal Director and Project Leads;
● Conceive and create new projects that use the media to advance our mission;
● Ensure the public is informed about Protect Democracy’s work to the extent that it advances the mission through whatever means are appropriate.
● 10+ years of leadership experience at a top quality company or mission-driven organization including the ability to manage your own portfolio of projects.
● Strong network of relationships in the media
● Fluency with the current political environment and legal issues (a J.D. is not a requirement, but the ability to understand and communicate legal issues is)
● Ability to translate abstract legal and political arguments across mediums
● Rigorous attention to detail and the highest standards for excellence in execution
● Excellent interpersonal and diplomatic skills
● Ability to place comms work within a strategic framework designed to achieve clear objectives including comfort developing relevant metrics and then meeting them
● Strong writing ability, ability to craft blog posts, emails, etc. that deal with issues of concern to Protect Democracy
● Comfort working in a startup environment, doing whatever is necessary to build the organization and support your own work
● Comfort with flat organizational structure, including uniform titles for team members and a focus on mission over markers of personal status
● Ability to manage multiple projects and works streams at the same time, staying on top of them all
● Adherence to the culture principles of the organization including comfort with an open and transparent culture with constant feedback up, down, and sideways
● Ability to track, prioritize, and balance an assortment of ongoing responsibilities while anticipating the needs of staff
● Excellent critical thinking skills - can reason their way through novel problems and have good instincts about how to get to efficient solutions
● Strong personal motivation and the ability to quickly master the mechanics of new concepts, markets, or systems
● Facility with databases and data management
● Comfort taking smart, strategic, and calculated risks
● Comfort with team collaboration; not needing to work only in an isolated and autonomous way
● A healthy mix of idealism, sophistication, and practicality, coupled with personal kindness and generosity of spirit
About Protect Democracy
● Protect Democracy is an equal opportunity employer. Our culture principles emphasize that there is strength in diversity as we believe diverse teams are more innovative, creative, and productive. Protect Democracy encourages applications from all qualified individuals without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, national origin, marital status, citizenship, disability, and veteran status.
● All positions are full-time and offer a salary and benefits that are commensurate with experience and designed to be at the leading edge of competitiveness for the social justice and non-profit sector. While we cannot match for-profit sector salaries, our intent is to not make finance a bar to people who want to do this work on the theory that paying for top talent will result in greater delivery of impact towards our mission. For example, our benefits package includes: three months of paid parental leave; a 401k plan in which we match employee contributions dollar for dollar up to 6% of salary; and full coverage for an excellent health care plan.
● Candidates who do not meet all listed criteria should still apply, as our organizational structure focuses on providing mentorship and opportunities for professional growth.
● Location requirements are flexible. The only requirement is that your location be one that allows you to complete the demands of the position and mission. We currently have staff in DC, New York, Boston, Virginia, and North Carolina.
For more information, please visit https://protectdemocracy.org/ .
Job posted on 17th November 2018
Please mention Political Jobs when applying to this position