- International Representative of Pension Strategy, USA
SEIU (Service Employees International Union)
Job Title: International Representative of Pension Strategy
Grade: UUR III- Annual Pay : $73,808/YR
Location: New York, NY
This position is responsible for serving as a lead organizer of SEIU in advancing within and outside SEIU the work of the union's Capital Stewardship Program in the Strategic Initiatives Department. The work of the Capital Stewardship Program includes, but is not limited to, ensuring that SEIU members' Taft-Hartley and public employee pension and health & welfare funds are managed, invested and voted in ways which represent the interest of its participant members. The Programs include but are not limited to: Geographic Based (e.g. by local and state pension funds and union locals) and Issue based (e.g. retirement security, diversity, responsible contracting) organizing.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities:
(any one position may not include all of the specific duties and responsibilities listed. Examples provide a general summary of the work required and should not be treated as a total and complete list of expected duties to be performed by employees in the classification)
1. Works with the Department's Deputy Director and Assistant Directors to implement the goals of SEIU's Capital Stewardship Program
2. Works in one or more of the programs of the Capital Stewardship Program at the discretion of the Deputy Director and/or Assistant Directors.
3. Works with SEIU leaders and staff and SEIU-related pension fund trustees, administrators, consultants and service providers to implement and promote the programs of SEIU's Capital Stewardship Program.
4. Initiates and leads major projects, organizes meetings and conferences and prepares materials for the purposes of promoting and advancing the programs of SEIU's Capital Stewardship Program.
5. Works with Industry Division staff and leaders and local staff and leaders to ensure that the programs of the Capital Stewardship Program are integrated with and supports the Divisions' and Locals' program.
6. Ensures that SEIU supports candidates for public office and suitable candidates for appointment by public officials who will support the objectives of SEIU's Capital Stewardship Program.
7. Represents SEIU's Capital Stewardship Program in internal and external forums, maintains relations with the Change to Win, AFL-CIO and other unions staff, pension and related industry organizations and associations, experts, academics and the media.
8. Performs other duties as assigned in support of the capital Stewardship Program.
Include SEIU and affiliate staff and leaders, State Councils and government affairs staff, pension fund trustees and administrators, consultants, service providers and elected officials and their staff.
Direction and Decision Making:
The International Representative for Pension Strategies reports to the Deputy Director of the Capital Stewardship Program and/or the Assistant Directors and works independently.
Education and Experience:
Graduation from an accredited college or university with a bachelor's degree in social sciences, labor relations, master's degree preferred, and at least five (5) years of work experience in labor, public interest organizations, community or faith based organizing or labor advocacy and/or any combination of education and experience that would provide for the following knowledge, skills and abilities:
• Ability to organize with diverse sets of people and in multiple environments to change power structures and protect the interests of union members.
• Ability to analyze complex structures and develop strategies and tactics for campaigns that protect the interests of union members.
• Knowledge of labor unions and their operations.
• Knowledge of pension fund investment and fiduciary strategies and issues regulatory and legal issues and processes would also be helpful, but not essential.
• Ability to think critically and analytically and make sound logical conclusions.
• Ability to communicate effectively, both orally and in writing.
• Ability to work with union leaders and organizers, elected officials, pension fund trustees, and service providers.
• Skill in the use of personal computers, including spreadsheet and presentation software, database management systems, and on-line information sources.
Work is generally performed in an office setting and in the field. Long and extended work hours and extensive travel required.
One (1) year.
A resume is required for all applications and a cover letter is highly suggested. Your cover letter should explain your reason for wanting to work for SEIU, an example of how you demonstrated success in a similar position and a description of how this position fits into your long-term career plan.
Writing sample required.
SEIU staff enjoy top notch benefits including comprehensive health benefits, major medical, dental and vision for employee and eligible dependents, domestic partner benefits, competitive salaries, generous holidays and vacation policies, and both a pension plan and a 401(K) Plan.
This position is part of a Collective Bargaining Agreement (CBA) and as such the incumbent is bound by the language of said agreement and party to all benefits, dues and requirements associated with being a member of a union and the (CBA).
SEIU is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Relocation costs are not covered by SEIU.
Apply Here: http://www.Click2apply.net/vsfpzk7nsfq696th
Job posted on 22nd January 2019
Please mention Political Jobs when applying to this position