- Organizing Coordinator I, USA
SEIU (Service Employees International Union)
Job Title: Organizing Coordinator I Annual Pay: $70,000 to $72,000
This is a Full Time Temporary position through December 2020
Location: Houston, TX
SEIU Texas unites janitors, food service workers, hospital employees and county/municipal employees from across our state. We are seeking an energetic, passionate and dedicated individual interested in building a career in social justice labor organizing, and build power for working families in a right to work state.
Organizing Coordinator I is responsible for representing and assisting the SEIU TX in achieving its overall organizing program goals; responsible for driving and managing or assisting in managing multiple or large scale organizing campaigns or major elements of the Organizing Program, organizing resources offered to locals and/or projects and assisting with overall management of field administration.
PRIMARY RESPONSIBILITIES: (Any one position may not include all of the specific duties and responsibilities listed. Examples provide a general summary of the work required and should not be treated as a total and complete list of expected duties to be performed by employees in the classification.)
• Assists in formulating strategic campaign plans, including developing strategy, comprehensive campaign planning, narrative and message development, budget development and campaign office administration.
• Is responsible for coordinating and executing field campaign plans.
• Supervises, leads, assigns, and evaluates organizing field staff, including developing individual work plans and overseeing their implementation and evaluation.
• Administers appropriate disciplinary action such as developing corrective performance plans or recommends terminations if necessary.
• Recruits, interviews and recommends hiring staff.
• Designs and implements organizing training and development plans designed to build effective teams to win union campaigns.
• Reviews and makes recommendations on appropriate allocation of International Union staff and resources.
• Authorizes expenditures within the campaign budget.
• Works with other Organizing Coordinators, Division leadership, Local union leadership and/or allies to coordinate Division and/or National organizing goals.
• Integrates organizing plans with all other SEIU programs and strategic priorities. Works cooperatively in collaboration with other SEIU International Union staff.
• Maintain regular contact with and reporting to SEIU leadership but expected to work independently to achieve organizing and other strategic goals.
• Performs other duties as assigned in support of the work of the department.
Qualifications and Requirements:
• At least three (3) years of supervisory or team management experience and five (5) years of organizing campaign experience
• Thorough knowledge of organizing planning, development and execution processes and best practices required.
• Knowledge of strategies and tactics used by SEIU to organize, develop and lead workers that win union campaigns required.
• Knowledge of team or organizational management and leadership skills required
• Ability to communicate effectively, both orally and in writing required
• Knowledge of unions and collective bargaining helpful.
• Ability to write campaign plans, reports and other relevant documents.
• Ability to use computer and utilize basic software such as Word, Excel and VAN database.
• Ability to supervise, develop and manage organizing teams made up of people from diverse backgrounds and cultures.
• Ability to work effectively with elected leaders and staff in complex and sometime political situations.
• Ability to create and conduct training sessions and staff development plans.
• Ability to effectively and objectively evaluate staff and assist in developing a proactive corrective performance plan.
The Organizing Coordinator I must be available to work long and irregular hours, weekends and travel. The position often requires temporary assignments away from home. Work is generally performed both in an office setting and in the field, but may be required to work in other settings conducive to performing the tasks required to complete assignments.
• Salary commensurate with experience.
• Competitive benefits package provided for full-time employees and eligible dependents, including health, dental, vision, and prescription coverage.
How to Apply:
Submit a cover letter, résumé and writing sample. SEIU TX is an equal opportunity employer committed to a diverse and inclusive workforce. Women, people of color, those with disabilities, and members of the LGBT community are encouraged to apply.
Apply Here: http://www.Click2apply.net/byr8jmwyfqrq9p8w
Job posted on 5th April 2019
Please mention Political Jobs when applying to this position