- Director, KC Rising, USA
- Parent Category: US Vacancies
Director, KC Rising
Greater Kansas City Civic Council
Kansas City, Missouri
The Civic Council of Greater Kansas City, a 501( c )(4) nonprofit organization dedicated to bolstering the quality of life and economic development in the Kansas City region, seeks a seasoned policy and strategy professional to serve as Director of a regional initiative, KC Rising. The successful candidate will be adept at identifying and furthering work on issues central to the economic success of the Kansas City region, a strong project manager and capable communicator.
The Director of KC is a member of the Civic Council’s senior management team and is responsible for coordinating the various project managers, strategic partners, stakeholders and volunteers who are engaged in KC Rising and its initiatives. The Director is responsible for ensuring that strategies under the KC Rising umbrella are executed effectively and in alignment with the expectations of the KC Rising Steering Committee and the KC Rising Co-Chairs. The Director also works closely with the management teams from partner organizations to maintain shared ownership and advocacy for KC Rising.
The Director reports to the President of the Civic Council, but also takes direction from the KC Rising Steering Committee and/or the KC Rising Co-Chairs. The Director supervises a Program Manager.
S/he will be accountable for the following key duties and responsibilities:
Strategy Development and Implementation
Works with the KC Rising Steering Committee and Co-Chairs to ensure the mission and vision of KC Rising are met through the work of the various implementation teams/organizations.
Ensures that emerging issues or opportunities are brought to the attention of the Steering Committee and Co-Chairs for consideration and integration into the work of KC Rising.
Coordinates with the implementing organizations to ensure initiatives are implemented on budget and on time; metrics are met; duplication of effort is eliminated; obstacles to implementation are addressed; disagreements are resolved;and, deficiencies in strategies are identified and brought to the attention of the Steering Committee and Co-Chairs.
Develops and updates the KC Rising business plan to reflect changes in strategy, conditions of implementation, budget realities, etc.
Establishes and monitors the KC Rising budget.
Coordinates with partners and implementing organizations and the Steering Committee and Co-Chairs to ensure resources and staffing are sufficient to meet budget.
Supervises the KC Rising Program Manager, any part-time staff and interns.
Works with the Kansas City Area Development Council and partner organizations to ensure a communications plan is in place and communications are managed effectively within KC Rising and from KC Rising to stakeholders, partners, and other interested individuals and organizations.
Ensures the Civic Council President is provided the information necessary to maintain the support of the Civic Council Board of Directors and members.
Ensures discussions in meetings are summarized into minutes and action items and added to planning documents as appropriate.
Meets with industry and community leaders and other interested parties to discuss KC Rising.
Ensures volunteer leaders are recruited for various roles within the initiative.
Completes other duties as required or assigned by the Steering Committee, the Co-Chairs and/or the President of the Civic Council.
The successful candidate will demonstrate:
• Exceptional time management skills, knowledge of budgets, timeline planning, and ability to use program/project management tools to communicate schedules, goals,
• Experience in delivering effective meetings and outcomes including dealing with all facets of planning and organizing, conducting, ensuring technology functions appropriately, implementing actions, and quick turn around of summaries for various committee and task force meetings
• Proven ability to read, analyze, and interpret complex documents and to respond effectively to the most sensitive inquiries or complaints.
• Strong listening, speaking and presentation skills, with ability to facilitate discussion and summarize conclusions effectively.
• Excellent writing and editing skills, with experience in communicating with diverse audiences at varying levels of knowledge about the subject matter.
• Ability to define problems, collect data, establish facts, and draw valid conclusions.
• Ability to work independently to set direction and accomplish required tasks; to evaluate options and make decisions in the implementation of a strategy that has been developed and approved by the KC Rising Steering Committee and Leadership Team.
• Ability to work in and lead teams of KC Rising volunteer leadership, industry leaders, community partners, peers and other staff members in which the Director and KC Rising staff have no direct authority over the participants.
• Ability to find and access data from a variety of sources; to be proficient with the internet; to effectively use Microsoft Word, EXCEL, Keynote and Power Point to produce and deliver presentations.
• Basic understanding of production process, skills in graphic design, web development, social media, and events.
In addition, the Director of KC Rising will possess the following traits:
• Ability to create collaborative relationships with a strong customer service orientation, coordinating with all KC Rising partners.
• Ability to motivate and engage staff and community partners.
• Ability to resolve conflicts and make critical decisions.
• Demonstrated analytical skills to solve problems that may arise during a typical work day.
• Ability to work “behind the scenes” to educate and inform participants and others on public policy and community issues.
• Ability to blend strategic thinking with detailed follow-through.
• Passion for community building and continuous learning about new topics/issues.
Education and Experience
Bachelor’s degree in Marketing, Communications, Public Administration, Business Administration or related field. Advanced degree a plus.
Minimum of 5 years’ related experience in managing complex programs with supervisory responsibility, or combination of degree plus experience and PMI certification at PMP or PgMP level. Experience working with community stakeholders in collective mpact work with demonstrated results is preferred.
Application Deadline and Procedure
This position will remain open until filled; however, applications received by Friday, October 26, will receive priority consideration.
If you have already submitted a cover letter and resume to the Civic Council regarding this position, your candidacy remains active
Attach to the e-mail in PDF:
• Letter of application
• Resumé, detailing measurable success in the areas of key qualifications for the position
• List of five professional references we may contact . References will not be contacted until the finalist stage.
Complete applications will be acknowledged by return e-mail within one week of submission.
The Civic Council of Greater Kansas City is an Equal Opportunity Employer. The Civic Council affords equal employment opportunity regardless of age, race, gender, creed, national origin, disability, gender identity, veteran status or any other legally protected categories.
About KC Rising and the Civic Council of Greater Kansas City
Formed in 1964 with the goal of aggregating the resources of the region’s business leaders to address major challenges and opportunities, the Civic Council of Greater Kansas City is a privately-funded membership organization that focuses on long-term issues that will impact the quality of life and the economic development of the Kansas City region.
The Civic Council places a high value on aligning its work with that of other civic groups, is highly collaborative, undertakes initiatives that require a long-term, strategic focus. Its role ranges from catalyst/convener to researcher and provider of seed funding or incubation for initiatives.
The Civic Council in 2014 launched KC Rising (kcrising.com), a significant initiative to grow the region’s economy. This high-priority effort emerged from a review of the region’s economic performance, showing a metropolitan area that was lagging its peer metros in job growth, population expansion, and innovation and business development. KC Rising was developed to create and execute on a regional economic business plan focused on Trade, Ideas and People. KC Rising is business-led, highly collaborative, informed by research, and accountable to sponsoring organizations and the community through a performance evaluation process.
Key KC Rising Partners include: Kansas City Area Development Council; Mid-America Regional Council, the Greater Kansas City Chamber of Commerce and BioNexus (Kansas City Area Life Sciences Institute).
Job posted on 26th September 2018
Please mention Political Jobs when applying to this position