- Government Affairs Associate, USA
Are you interested in joining a rapidly expanding organization that is changing the way Washington thinks and talks about Israel and U.S. Middle East policy? J Street’s Government Affairs team—named one of DC’s top lobbying operations by The Hill—is seeking an experienced legislative professional to help advance its advocacy strategy.
The Government Affairs Associate will support legislative and policy analysis while directly lobbying a key portfolio of Congressional offices.
The Government Affairs Associate should be a dedicated team player, skilled communicator and highly organized self-starter who thrives on hitting ambitious goals and is excited by the challenge of changing the dynamics that shape the discussion of the Israeli-Palestinian conflict in Congress, American politics and the American Jewish
J Street lobbyists have primary responsibility for building and managing relationships between the organization and Members of Congress and Executive Branch officials. The
incumbent will individually own that task for a key portfolio of Congressional offices.
Specifically, the candidate will be responsible for:
• Directly lobbying their portfolio of Congressional offices by:
o growing new and existing relationships between Members of Congress and J Street through timely, effective and appropriate use of the entire range of the organization’s advocates and assets;
o being voracious in meeting and communicating with Members’ offices; and
o persuasively, confidently, clearly and knowledgably communicating J Street policy views and issue information.
• Assisting the Vice President of Government Affairs in:
o formulating and guiding execution of strategies and tactics to advance legislative and policy priorities;
o drafting, editing and analyzing legislative language;
o researching and drafting informational materials and statements related to J Street legislative and policy issues;
o maintaining up-to-date awareness and deep knowledge of relevant legislative initiatives and policy developments on our issue;
o speaking in various fora on-the-record on behalf of J Street’s government affairs team;
o ensuring successful execution of briefings, fly-ins, advocacy days and related events on Capitol Hill; and
o ensuring compliance with lobbying disclosure, ethics and related rules.
• Legislative or lobbying experience, preferably in a US Congressional office;
• Solid writing skills, particularly with respect to the drafting and editing of talking points, memos and policy statements;
• Strong verbal presentation skills, including comfort with public speaking;
• Familiarity with legislative procedure in both chambers of Congress;
• Sound political judgment;
• An understanding of how to grow relationships with Members of Congress and candidates for federal office, and how to identify opportunities for advancing the organization’s agenda;
• Personally engaging style and eagerness to work with Members of Congress, Congressional and campaign staff, and grassroots and grasstops leaders;
• Comfort with current business technology, online communications and data management;
• Willingness to travel once or twice a year, and to put in extended hours around large events such as the national conference; and
• A strong commitment to J Street’s mission.
• Strong legislative drafting and analysis skills; and
• An understanding how the Israeli-Palestinian conflict plays out in American politics.
HOW TO APPLY:
J Street is the political home for pro-Israel, pro-peace Americans who want Israel to be secure, democratic and the national home of the Jewish people. Working in American politics and the Jewish community, we advocate policies that advance shared US and Israeli interests, as well as Jewish and democratic values, leading to a two-state solution to the Israeli-Palestinian conflict. As Americans, we advocate in Washington and in national politics for American policy that advances diplomatic resolution of Israel’s conflicts with its neighbors. American policy plays an important role in the Middle East, and the voices of Jewish and other pro-Israel Americans are critical in shaping that policy.
Through its advocacy and political work, J Street mobilizes support for American policy that helps resolve Israel’s conflicts diplomatically and reshapes political perceptions of what it means to be pro-Israel. Within the American Jewish community, we advocate that our institutions and leaders ground our relationship with Israel in the same values they apply to other issues, including freedom, justice and peace – the very principles set forth in Israel’s Declaration of Independence. We urge Jewish communal officials and institutions to demonstrate leadership by speaking out in support of policies that align with our interests and values and against those that don’t. We also promote vibrant and respectful discourse about Israel within the Jewish community, expanding American connections to and support for Israel.
Launched in 2008 with four staff and a limited budget, J Street is now a $8 million organization with a national staff of 60+. The organization is headquartered in Washington, DC, employing staff in 7 US cities and Tel Aviv. The J Street family of organizations includes J Street – a 501(c)(4) nonprofit which is responsible for lobbying and advocacy; JStreetPAC – a federal political action committee that endorses and raises money for federal candidates; and the J Street Education Fund – a 501(c)(3) that works through community engagement, education and programming to advance J Street’s work.
J Street offers a generous benefits and vacation package. Salary is commensurate with experience.
Job posted on 8th November 2017
Please mention Political Jobs when applying to this position