- Assistant Director of Policy, USA
- Parent Category: US Vacancies
SEIU (Service Employees International Union)
Job Title: Public Division Policy Director MGT F- Annual Pay : $116,915/YR
Location: Washington, DC
The Public Division Policy Director plans, develops, and implements the International's public policy positions, under the Direction of the Director of Public Policy, and in close coordination with the Public Division.
PRIMARY RESPONSIBILITIES: (Any one position may not include all of the specific duties and responsibilities listed. Examples provide a general summary of the work required and should not be treated as a total and complete list of expected duties to be performed by employees in the classification.)
Principal Duties and Responsibilities
• Work with officers, Division leaders and senior staff to develop the International's public policy programs, publications and strategies on legislative and regulatory issues related to the Public Division, including early childhood education and child care, higher education, budget policy and taxes.
• Direct, review and develop analysis, testimony, correspondence and other materials on the International's Legislative and Executive Branch and other public policy positions ensuring timely and high quality products.
• Directly advocate and coordinate advocacy with key federal, state and local government agencies and representatives, as needed, in coordination with our Government Relations program.
• Develop and present the International's positions before SEIU conferences, government groups, national commissions and public forums and before the media around the country.
• Develops relationships with strategic partners, including with the labor movement, to drive a common agenda.
• Represents SEIU and the labor movement on critical public policy issues as member of federal commissions.
• Works closely with other teams in the Strategic Initiatives Department, the Government Relations Department, and with senior staff in other Divisions and departments of the union.
• Manage professional and clerical staffs and coordinate with Division and Research Department on staff who do policy issues work.
• Perform other duties as assigned.
Include SEIU International and local union division leaders and officers, elected officials, congressional staff, leaders of allied organizations, academics and other experts in public policy issues.
Direction and Decision Making:
This position reports to the Director of Public Policy and works independently.
Education and Experience:
Graduation from an accredited four-year college or university with a bachelors degree, masters degree preferred, in public administration, labor relations or political science and at least three (5) years of supervisory experience and (5) years of work related experience in policy analysis including issues development in a political context or a combination of education and experience that would provide for the following knowledge, skills and abilities:
• Knowledge of unions and other advocacy groups.
• Thorough understanding of public sector issues, including federal and state budget funding, non-profit funding streams, and the various federal and state laws and regulations governing the operation of public sector programs.
• Policy analysis and issue development.
• Development of strategy and ability to lead complex national campaigns that require coordination of the work of multiple departments, disciplines and external allies.
• Ability to monitor public sector industry trends at the federal, state and local level in financing, privatization, quality public service issues and workforce issues.
• Ability to analyze data and make sound, logical conclusions and develop strategy.
• Ability to communicate effectively, both orally and in writing
• Ability to make presentations.
• Ability to handle multiple priorities and meet established deadlines
• Ability to make presentations and conduct trainings
• Ability to work with people from diverse backgrounds and cultures.
• Ability to resolve conflicts while maintaining important and effective relationships
• Skill in the use of personal computer and associated software used to perform analysis.
Work is generally performed in an office setting. Long and extended hours and travel may be required.
Apply Here: http://www.Click2apply.net/cfn4hpyt2sn3zskj
Job posted on 22nd May 2019
Please mention Political Jobs when applying to this position